Inside: How to Draw a Flamingo
Hey there Artists…. Today, we are going to draw a Flamingo! Flamingos have such a distinct look and vibrant color.
They are very tall birds with knees that bend the opposite of how ours bend. Also, their color is bright because of the food that they eat.
It just happens naturally, can you imagine if that happened with us? I would surely take on an orange hue, I eat so many carrots.
I wonder if it would change throughout your life? From mac n’ cheese colors to salads? Haha!
Ok, artists. Stay focused and let’s draw this beautiful bird step-by-step together.
Flamingos. Here we go…
Supplies needed for sketching flamingos
- Colored pencils or crayons (pinks, black and gray)
- Water color (this would be a great one to try with watercolor paints)
Step-by-step instructions for drawing a flamingo
Artist tip: As with any drawing it’s important to recognize how much space you are working with.
To do this, point to the middle of your paper with your finger or pencil.
This will tell your eyes how much space you have to draw in. It does not have to be exact!
Let’s get started:
1. Draw a medium sized oval near the middle of your paper, lightly. This will be the body.
2. A pencil width to the left and up a little, draw a circle. This will be the head.
3. Flamingo necks are LONG. Draw and backwards “S” shape from the head to the body.
The neck will start from the head, loop up then come down past the body and swoop up to join the body.
4. Now, repeat that line from the bottom of the head shape, for the other side of the neck, the neck is thin compared to the body.
5. Next is the beak, a Flamingo’s beak is large compared to their heads.
It is a cone shape with rounded edges, and a bend in the middle.
6. Add the eye, we will only see one from the side angle. Flamingo eyes are big, beautiful and dark.
How to draw flamingo feathers
7. Now let’s add feathers, this can be as simple as zig-zag lines where the feather would end.
Also, add some to the tail area.
This line can be outside of the oval to show that the tail feathers are longer.
How to draw legs on a flamingo
8. OK, remember those legs? Flamingos are tall with long thin legs.
Starting from the body; draw a long leg down towards the bottom of the paper, and add a circle in the middle area for the knee.
9. Add a foot. Instead of claw-like feet with talons, Flamingos have more flipper-like feet.
It is a rounded triangle with a “W” shape at the wide end.
10. The other leg will be bent, remember that they bend the “wrong” way?! They bend facing backwards, so this leg will start off the body, then when you get in line with the knee from the first leg, draw the line horizontal.
The legs end up looking like a backwards 4.
Also, add that foot at the end of the leg.
This foot will hang more loose because it’s not flattened on the ground.
How to color a flamingo
The best part: COLOR! Flamingos are traditionally bright pink or coral, with black sometimes at the tips of the feathers.
The beak and legs tend to have gray or black on them as well.
There you go… You’ve done it and drawn a flamingo!
Let’s see what else we can draw together…next time.