How to Draw a Leprechaun with a Pot of Gold, the easiest way possible.
Hello Artists, today we get to do something festive for St. Patrick’s Day. A Leprechaun with a Pot of Gold.
Leprechauns are Irish folklore. It is believed that if people are lucky enough to find a leprechaun and capture him, they will grant the person three wishes.
Leprechauns can be tricky, they love gold and pranks! So be careful!
Supplies for Drawing a Sprite
Supplies you’ll need to draw this cute sprite:
- Colored pencils/crayons
- Black fine point marker
Artist tip: As with any drawing it’s important to recognize how much space you are working with. To do this, point to the middle of your paper with your finger or pencil. This will tell your eyes how much space you have to draw in.
It does not have to be exact!
* Today we are going to start with the paper in the portrait position, or tall. There are a lot of steps, but don’t be discouraged- if you get lost, just go back to the last step that you did.
YOU CAN DO IT!
Let’s get started:
1. Two finger spaces below the middle draw a long slightly curved horizontal line. It will look like a smile going down in the middle, this is the top of the pot of gold.
2. Make that line into an oval by drawing a line just below it and curving the edges where the lines would connect.
How to draw a pot of gold
3. Beneath the oval draw a BIG semi-circle, we want a BIG pot of gold!
4. Draw a cloud line, or bumpy line off the top of the pot.
This will be gold, you can add details later if you like.
5. A finger space above the gold, draw a large U shape. This is the leprechaun’s face.
6. On top of the U shape, draw a slightly curved line, this one should go up in the middle.
7. Make that line into a rectangle. Repeat the line just above it and draw straight edges where the lines meet this time. This is the brim of the hat.
8. Draw a square shape off of the brim, or you could do a curved line- that’s your choice, Artist. This is the hat.
How to draw a leprechaun face
1. Now we’ll concentrate on the face. Draw a small rainbow shape in the middle of the face area. This is the nose.
2. Add 2 ovals just above and on each side of the nose for the eyes.
Artists Tip: If you have your own style for eyes, you can skip ahead!
3. Fill the ovals with smaller circles and draw curved lines above the eye for eye brows.
You could also add eyelashes if you’d like.
4. Add a big smile below the nose. This is a slightly curved line on top and a deep curved line below, connecting at the edges.
5. Draw little half circles on each side of the face for ears. So cute.
6. Let’s add a beard! This is a cloud line/bumpy line across the space between the nose and the mouth, connecting up to the hat and outside the face by the ears.
7. Draw the cloud line/bumpy line from ear to ear on the outside of the face line. Erase the original face line. The face is done!
Sketching leprechaun hands
8. Draw a medium sized semi-circle on each side of the rim of the pot of gold. Add 3 short vertical lines inside the semicircle.
These are the leprechaun’s hands. Hands can be tricky, so we’ve simplified the look.
9. Draw a slightly curved line from each side of the leprechaun’s face/beard to just before it’s hands.
We’re almost done! You’re doing great!
10. Repeat those curved lines- from a little further up the beard to the middle area of the hands- these are the arms
Cute St. Patricks Day Drawing Step-by-Step
Time to add in some fun details:
- I’ve added 2 lines across the hat for a hat band, and a 4-leaf clover coming out of it.
1. The 4-leaf clover is 4 small ovals meeting at one point, creating the Clover part. Then a small line for the stem connects to the hat band.
2. I’ve also added 2 lines on each side of the body shape for suspenders. I don’t see too many people wearing suspenders these days, but they’re so cute!
How to draw mythical sprite feet with pot of gold
1. Now to finish up, let’s add some feet! On each side of the pot towards the bottom, draw a semi-oval shape.
It can be a regular oval or you can draw a slight bend in the middle. Also draw a small connecting line from the shoe shape to the pot, to represent legs.
* I also added a small curved line inside the shoe area, from the pot to the middle of the top of the shoe for depth.
Outline your leprechaun drawing in black marker.
Remember to go over only the pencil lines you want to keep and erase any extra pencil lines.
Leprechaun coloring ideas
The BEST part: COLOR!
There you go! You’ve done it! A Leprechaun with a pot of Gold!
Let’s see what else we can draw together…next time.