Inside: How to draw a rainbow with some height added.
Hello Colorful Artists… Today we are drawing a Rainbow!
Rainbows are very simple shapes, with stripes of color.
Today, I thought we could put a twist on the traditional rainbow. Keeping with the colors, of course and changing the shape a bit, making it taller.
I have noticed the shape of Rainbows in nature can be different than we usually picture it in our minds.
Although they usually have the same colors: Roy G. Biv (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo/Violet)
Supplies needed for drawing a rainbow
- Colored pencils/Crayons/Markers
Let’s get started:
Make sure your paper is portrait, that means tall like a tower.
Artist tip: This is the first step every time; point to the middle of your paper with your finger.
This will tell your eyes how much space you have to draw in. It does not have to be exact!
Draw a dot, we will erase it later.
Setting up your rainbow
1. From the bottom of the paper using your two fingers to measure up, draw a guideline.
I drew a line on each side, for the ends of the Rainbow.
2. Now, the basic shape of this Rainbow is half an oval. I drew a bigger one for the outside and a smaller one for the inside.
Draw an outline for a rainbow
3. Next, I drew dot to *kind of* mark out the lines of color. (I say *kind of, because I really only used the top guide dots).
Make a dot in the middle of the top of the Rainbow. Then draw 2 more dots on top and bottom of that middle dot.
This gave me lots of good space for each color.
4. I lightly drew lines for each color, although I will blend them together at the end.
This can be tricky to maintain even lines, so take your time maybe something as a measurement, like the thickness of your pencil or your pinky finger, OR don’t use lines at all!
How to color a rainbow
The Best step: COLOR!
Artist tip: I made the color darker near the lines then faded it lighter. I also overlapped the colors, so the lines weren’t as apparent.
Also, erase any guidelines that are left over.
You’ve done it and drawn a Rainbow. Perfect thing to cover up the storms outside.
Let’s see what else we can draw together – an umbrella to help us in the rain?